Good old rubber wellingtons are a lifesaver for wet days. Whether you are going on a long Sunday walk in rainy weather or running errands in the city on a grey rainy day, and don’t want to ruin your other shoes. Though rubber is durable, it still needs some care to last longer.
Make sure you rinse wet mud or dirt after wearing them. Use plain water and a cloth, if needed. If the mud is already dry, it is best to use a bristle brush to brush the dirt away.
If you still can’t get rid of the soil or salts on your wellingtons try solving 1 teaspoon of dish detergent in two cups of warm water and dip a cloth in it. Wipe the shoes from the top to the bottom with the wet cloth. To rinse use a clean cloth and dip it in plain water. Air-dry the boots and avoid putting them in direct heat like sun/heater/hairdryer. Extreme temperatures cause damage to the rubber.
To clean, prevent or get rid of any bad smell inside the shoe, mix one teaspoon of liquid heavy-duty laundry detergent with enzymes in 2 cups of warm water. Use a clean cloth to dip into the solution and wipe your shoe from inside. With another clean cloth and plain water rinse the shoes afterward. If you want to go a step further and prevent the growth of bacteria inside the shoes make a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water. Fill up a spray bottle and lightly spray it inside the shoe. Let them air dry avoiding direct heat.
With darker wellingtons you might notice a white film on them, this is called blooming and is a normal occurrence with rubber. If you want your shine back, use few drops of olive oil on a clean cloth and wipe the boots sparing out the soles. This is important, as otherwise, they become very slippery. Et voilà, your shoes are good to be worn again or stored in a cool dry place.